This article emphasizes the importance of improving accessibility in streaming audio and video content for academic and professional publishers.
- Convergence of international standards has made requirements for accessible multimedia content clearer.
- Legal and commercial pressure for accessible content is mounting for higher education institutions (HEIs) and publishers as highlighted by recent high-profile settlements in North America.
- Accessibility requirements for multimedia can be met by setting realistic, progressive goals and focusing resources on key content.
- Multimedia accessibility benefits range from wider audiences and increased user engagement to greater discoverability and improved search engine optimization.
- Vendors are ramping up their offerings for accessible production, and costs are going down.
Beyond the Mandates: The Far‐reaching Benefits of Multimedia Accessibility